The ecclesiastical parish of Coalpit Heath was constituted in April 1845 from the mining hamlets of Coalpit Heath, Nibley, and Henfield in Westerleigh civil parish together with the hamlets of Brockeridge and Adam’s Land from Frampton Cotterell civil parish.
St Saviour’s is the first Anglican Church designed by the renowned Victorian architect, William Butterfield, and it was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol on October 9th 1845.
It resembles Early English style of 14th Century, yet without extravagant embellishment. Inside, the side aisles are divided from the nave by octagonal pillars.
St Saviour’s is in Deanery of Kingswood & South Gloucestershire and in the Diocese of Bristol. Population of ecclesiastical parish of Coalpit Heath is 5800.
The organ was installed in 1908; the oak choir stalls in 1930; and chancel screen in 1934.
In 1921 a peal of 4 bells was installed in the tower, while benefactors have since added a further 4.
Entrance from Badminton Road is via Butterfield’s stone Lych Gate, which provides a wide entrance for weddings and funerals and a smaller one for pedestrians.