Local Ecumenical Partnership
The Clergy and Worshippers at each church agreed and signed a Local Ecumenical Partnership between St Peter’s; St Saviour’s; and Zion.
Occasional United Services are held in each building, also joint activities that include– Lent Lunches & Groups; Easter Sunrise Service; Children’s Summer Holiday Club; Christmas Carols around village.
St Peter’s Church
A Saxon church is recorded on this site in the Domesday Book.
The Bishop of Worcester in whose diocese we were, dedicated the High Altar in July 1315 when he opened a new church building in Gothic style, having a south aisle also a pinnacled tower with niches which contained effigies of saints including St Peter.
The third building on the site was consecrated on the feast of St Peter in 1858, having additions of a north aisle, and a chapel adjoining south of chancel, though the original pinnacled tower was retained. The architect was John Norton, builder of churches around the Bristol and the South Wales valleys. The style is perpendicular and provides a nave of 5 bays separated from side aisles by an arcade of columns having carved capitals.
St Peter’s is now in the Deanery of Kingswood & South Gloucestershire and in the Diocese of Bristol. Population of ecclesiastical parish is 2857.
The tower contains a peal of 6 bells from 5cwt to 14 cwt; the oldest being 1627 and these were re-hung in 1963. The clock mechanism was one of 2 prototypes for the clock of Big Ben, and is supplied by Joyce of Whitchurch.
The parish chest has three locks so could only be opened when the vicar and 2 churchwardens were all present. It contained cash for poor relief with the account books.
A plaque dated 1623, in the south aisle, commemorates John Symes MP of Somerset, who sought refuge here during the Civil War.
A lively and friendly church community gathers here for worship every Sunday and warmly welcomes visitors and newcomers.