Day: April 25, 2018

Village Walk

There are at least 7 different countryside walks from Frampton Cotterell / Coalpit Heath. One is chosen as the ‘Parish Walk’ so funding may improve accessibility along this route for people with disabilities, as it takes us across the centre of the village, including also part of the Frome Walkway.

Memories – 1920s to 1940s

This photograph taken outside the Western Coach House Inn shows a village procession to celebrate the Coronation of King Edward VII on 15th June 1902. They have walked from St Peter’s Church along Church Road to the junction with Bristol Road. All are wearing hats; the ladies’ skirts are long;

Local Transport through the Ages

Mail-coaches and waggons In 1787 a morning mail coach from Bristol travelled along the Cotswold ridge to Cirencester and Oxford, while an overnight mail coach left Bristol at 7pm via The Old Gloucester Road, reaching Birmingham next morning by 10am. In 1900 waggoner James Uley began a daily service from

Council History

The civil parish of Frampton Cotterell within the County of Gloucestershire was created by the 1894 Local Government Act. There was more local government reorganisation in 1974 when this parish became part of the newly-created County of Avon. Further local government reorganisation in 1996 caused Avon County to be disbanded,

Regional History

Celts The Severn Vale was covered with dense forest when the Iberians arrived about 4000 BC and cleared a patch to live. Celts from Central Europe followed in 1100 BC, growing crops in the valley but built homes within bank and ditch fortifications on high ground. The hill fort at

Brockeridge Centre

The Brockeridge Centre was opened on 6th May 2000, and it replaces a derelict hut with this energy efficient building at the commercial centre of the village. The Centre has walls of local pennant stone, a simulated black slate roof, and mullioned windows to harmonise with Brockeridge Infants’ School; (built

Ancestor Search

St Peter’s churchyard Within this secret garden of Frampton Cotterell you may relax on a seat to gaze over fields and woods as you ponder or pray. In the south-east corner of the churchyard is an assortment of weather-worn tombstones amongst trimmed grass shaded by ornamental and mature trees that

St. Saviour’s Church

The ecclesiastical parish of Coalpit Heath was constituted in April 1845 from the mining hamlets of Coalpit Heath, Nibley, and Henfield in Westerleigh civil parish together with the hamlets of Brockeridge and Adam’s Land from Frampton Cotterell civil parish. St Saviour’s is the first Anglican Church designed by the renowned


The first service in the old Zion building on August 6th 1795, was largely due to the driving force of Thomas Humphreys. He was Colliery Manager, and an evangelist who also compiled a hymn-book. In 1812 a Sunday School was opened on these premises. By 1815 the congregation numbered 300,

Parish Churches

Local Ecumenical Partnership The Clergy and Worshippers at each church agreed and signed a Local Ecumenical Partnership between St Peter’s; St Saviour’s; and Zion. Occasional United Services are held in each building, also joint activities that include– Lent Lunches & Groups; Easter Sunrise Service; Children’s Summer Holiday Club; Christmas Carols